Out of Town
Head out of town and visit one of Victoria's most iconic destinations - Puffing Billy. This charming ride starts at Belgrave and winds its way to Gembrook through forests of towering mountain ash gum trees and giant tree ferns.
If the weather is on your side, Puffing Billy is a memorable and magic day out. It's almost guaranteed every child (and child at heart) will love the journey and continue the 'tradition' of dangling their legs out of a carriage as it winds and bends its way through the woods and trees.
As well as daily services, Puffing Billy holds regular theme trips such as The Great Train Race, Santa Special and a Day out with Thomas (for which we visited with Friends on a clear blue sky day) and a must for any Thomas and Train lover.
Puffing Billy is one of the finest and mighty preserved steam railways in the world and it runs on its original mountain track from Belgrave to Gembrook in the Dandenong Ranges.
- Don't go hungry, there's refreshment rooms at Belgrave, Menzies Creek, Lakeside and Gembrook stations stocking everything from snacks, ice-creams, drinks and souveniers.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy it at one of the many stops.
- If you're travelling with a baby we recommend using a baby bjorn/ergo/sling carrier or an umbrella stroller (maclaren type) as bigger prams are not aloud onboard.
- Don't forget hats and sunscreen and of course, a camera - you'll want to capture all those moments and stunning views.
- We also highly recommend booking your tickets before you arrive to avoid disappointment if you arrive and the train is full and you need to reschedule and wait for the next train.
Belgrave Railway Station, Belgrave
Visit the website for all the details.
Visit Puffing Billy Website for the current fares