Lotta Magazine shows you how to make this simple marionette from recycled materials.
- One toilet roll
- Two orange bottle tops (from orange juice bottles)
- A sheet of A4 card
- Orange/brown paint and paint brush
- Masking tape
- Craft glue
- Fishing line
- Two paddle pop sticks
- 1m of cord
1. Paint the toilet roll and wait for it to dry.
2. Go to the website Lotta Magazine Template — download and print the fox template onto A4 card.
3. Carefully cut them out. Glue the two tails together with white sides facing. Glue the face & tail to the toilet roll with your craft glue and wait for it to dry.
4. Get an adult to poke holes for the arms and legs using the point of the scissors, poking in then twisting around to open out a circle. Use the same method to poke holes in the middle of the bottle tops.
5. Measure and cut a length of cord 18cm. Wrap some sticky tape around the cord where you are going to cut so it doesn’t unravel. Repeat to make another leg.
6. Thread the cord through the hole in the bottle top and tie a knot in the end. Thread the other end of the cord through one of the leg holes in the toilet roll and secure to the inside with some masking tape. Repeat for the other leg.
7. Tie a knot in your remaining cord. Measure and cut a length about 11cm including the knot. Repeat for the other arm. Poke the cord through the arm holes and tape inside the toilet roll with masking tape.
8. Cut two lengths of fishing line 60cm. Poke one piece through the hole in the bottle top foot and tie around the knot in the cord. Secure the end of the fishing line with masking tape. Repeat for the other foot. Attach the other ends of the fishing line to the ends of the paddle pop stick with a small piece of tape.
9. Cut another piece of fishing line 40cm long. Tape one end inside the toilet roll behind the face. Tape the other end to the middle of the paddle pop stick. Glue the other paddle pop stick over the top to hide the tape and secure the strings. Advanced puppeteers can create another set of strings to control the arms as well.
Now Mr Fox is ready to put on a show or make a movie. Have a Lotta fun! For more school holiday activities check out The Story Issue of Lotta Magazine at www.lottamagazine.com