Sovereign Hill is an engaging re-creation of early goldrush Ballarat. A truly magical place and with the extra special touch of Christmas in July it makes the experience at Sovereign Hill even more special.
It's an an excellent living museum for those who like to get a hands-on experience of history. Friends of Sovereign Hill regularly join the scene, dressed in the clothes of the 1850's and often adding to the atmosphere with re-enactments. You can go on a mine tour (extra $), watch the mine machinery, have a go at gold-panning, get photographed in dress-ups, ride in a a Cobb & Co coach, go ten pin bowling and more.
Perhaps the most magical time to discover Sovereign Hill though is in Winter over the holidays for Christmas in July when the streets twinkle with lights, the big Christmas tree is adorned with a star, you can stand by the warmth of a fire and at certain times throughout the day, the Winter Wonderlights are turned on and it snows (faux of course)!
- To state the obvious, rug up in Winter
- If you think you're going to need another day, get your entry pass stamped and you can return the next day for free
- If you want the 'full package' of Sovereign Hill, stay the night at the Comfort Inn in the heart of Sovereign Hill
- The streets are all gravel, watch your littlies and big ones for falls
- Prams are available to hire from the entrance
- There's numerous places to eat, we found the Sovereigh Hill Cafe the best as it's spacious making it great for prams
Where: Bradshaw St, Ballarat VIC 3350
10.00 am to 5.00 pm every day except Christmas Day.
During daylight saving, Sovereign Hill is open until 5.30 pm.
Unlimited free parking on-site.