It's time to hit the bay and discover Portarlington by ferry and enjoy the unsung beauty of Melbourne's bay. It's an easy 90 minute trip from Docklands to Portarlington on board Port Phillip Ferries and a day trip is the perfect amount of time to discover this seaside village (and you'll be home for dinner)!
After boarding your vessel, pick your seats within the spacious comfortable two level interior or sit on the outside deck with a sea breeze and settle in for an easy journey. Luggage racks are available on board to store all sizes of suitcases or backpacks and located in the central area of the lower deck. Staff are also very helpful.
When arriving in Portarlington and disembarking, there's a jetty to walk down which meets the sand, car park and picnic grounds and from there you can walk up a short hill to what we believe is the 'heart' of Portarlington - Newcombe Street with its numerous eateries and small gift shops.
Below we give you some tips on what to do and where to eat and if in doubt there's always the beach and a playground within reach!
With the school holidays here, it's the perfect time to take a day trip with the family!
Where to eat in Portarlington and all found on Newcombe Street
- Portarlington Bakehouse is a family-friendly cafe with quick service, an array of bakery items, cooked breakfast and lunch, good coffee and a play area out the back in the large courtyard
- The Boyz Fish and Chips. This needs no explanation!
- Pier View Lolly Shop for delicious icecream and gelato and lollies of course!
- Pizzeria Praja Ristorante for pizza and pasta with views looking down to the beach
- The Grand Hotel. Sit outdoors for good pub grub.
- Take home some famous Portarlington mussels. They're right next to the jetty - you can't miss them!
What to do in Portarlington
- Spend some time at the beach. A clean beach with picnic area
- Head up the hill to Newcombe Street for a bite to eat, an icecream and wander around
- Further up Newcombe Street there's an unfenced playground. Very dated but it has sea views and some seating
- Hire a Bongo (equipped for 6 people) and go on a scenic tour of the area
- Port Phillip Ferries have partnered with Scotchmans Hill, Terindah Estate, Bellarine Estate Winery Brewery and Bennetts on Bellarine to offer a jump on/jump off complimentary service for wine lovers
- Spend some time at the Fun Fair which is located off the jetty when you arrive off the boat in Portarlington
With some of Mama's tips it will be plain sailing too!
- All day parking is available at Ethiad Stadium carpark for $18
- Pack some snacks for the ferry ride. No drinks, coffee or food available to purchase onboard
- You can take bikes on the ferry
- FREE WI-FI on board
- Port Phillip Ferries is located very close to the free CBD tram and a 8-10 minute walk from Southern Cross
Weekday and week-end schedules vary so check the website.
Tickets can be prebooked online or you can pay on board.
Children under 3 travel for FREE